Saturday, February 10, 2024

DIY Farm Themed Crayons Made With Old Crayons and Silicone Molds

When life gives you old and broken crayons....create something new! I love crayons and I have to admit I even have my very first box of crayons. So over the years of raising kids, old or broken crayons went into a shoe box.........just waiting for a time like this!



I needed a farm themed gift for a sweet little one who loves his farm animals! So I thought I would try melting crayons into farm shapes. I dug out my box of old crayons! I did read that the name brand crayons work best for melting, so I stuck to using those for this project.





I took a trip to the local Hobby Lobby and found this silicone mold on sale for 50% off. When looking for molds, the thicker ones are the best. 





The hardest part of this project was peeling the paper off the crayons. Some of these crayons were over 35 years old. I have heard that soaking them in water helps, but I just kept peeling. 






I broke the crayons up and filled the molds, overfilling a little in those that needed to spread. I mixed the colors in some. The chunky crayons like the barn are best for littlest hands. Be aware that small details might break off of some molded crayons.







Putting the mold on a cookie sheet really helps  keep the melted crayon from spilling.  Melt at 300 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes. Some colors take longer to melt than others. After it is melted, you can take a toothpick to both swirl and mix if you like and fill in areas that seem thinner.......like the legs on farm animals.

Let cool for about an hour before pushing out of the molds. This was very satisfying! I found a very cute box and some filler at the dollar store to complete this gift. 





I loved creating these and was thrilled with how they turned out. They were a perfect gift but would also be good for a farm theme in the classroom or at a party. Think party favors!

If you are doing a farm theme in your classroom here are a few resources that I created just for that. Here you will find math worksheets, emergent readers, cut & paste, pocket chart cards and writing activities.


Farm Themed Math & Literacy


These resources can be purchased separately or save money with a bundle. 






Farm Themed Rhyme and Read Emergent Reader


Grab a freebie here that includes a page from farm themed math worksheets! 


Sample Math Worksheets







I hope you enjoyed this farm themed post and learned something new!
Let's Learn S'more



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment